I have no self-control when it comes to television. I take great pleasure in simultaneously watching two, three or even four shows in a single hour. While all brain function may cease when I’m sacked out in front of the tube, I retain just enough motor function to keep my fingers dancing on the remote. Oh, I’m good – real good.
We don’t have a remote now though.
We don’t need one.
We’ve moved to a location that is so distant, so isolated that cable is fairytale. And while there are two huge televisions with satellite access on property, a vast darkness keeps me away each night. My weakness for television has yet to overcome my distaste for walking a lonely dirt road at night.
Given my affection for television it’s any wonder that I’ve survived this transition, but I have. My unexpected rehabilitation has been so profound that I can honestly say I don’t even miss having a television in our house.
I rather prefer life without it – truly!
That’s because I’ve found something better – “Ugly Betty” on abc.com.
Who needs a remote when ABC delivers the best hour of television right to my home computer?!
I do keep up with the ladies on Wisteria Lane. I still like human anatomy and I even get lost once a week, but I don’t watch any of it these days. I get my fix thanks to the quick recaps posted – in print – the morning after. Sure, I take the time for the two-minute replays of “The Office” on nbc.com. Considering all I’ve given up though, I figure a quick peek isn’t going to hurt anything.
What I can’t get enough viewing pleasure of is “Ugly Betty.” Based on a Colombian telenovela, the new show has generated plenty of buzz. And, why not? The smart dialogue is paired with great performances. The colors, music and transitions are perfectly kitschy. I absolutely adore the show!
What I’m reading: David Sawyer McFarland’s Dreamweaver MX 2004: The Missing Manual
What I’m listening to: our refrigerator is on lead vocals, the computer has backup and the bugs outside are on bass
Worth Visiting: http://www.cuteoverload.com/