A couple of weeks ago I toured a local mortuary with a box of donuts. I sat in a “vintage” hearse, smelled embalming fluid (straight from the bottle) and talked shop in a chapel with dusty pink carpet. I learned how bodies are transported by plane and why crypts are necessary. Visiting the undertaker was the highlight of my day.
The week before I watched a dentist customize a crown. After scanning the patient’s mouth, the dentist manipulated a very sophisticated graphic (think topographic map) on a very sophisticated computer and had another machine (think rock tumbler) chisel a piece of porcelain into the perfect shape within minutes. He sold me – we have back-to-back appointments on Friday.
Last week I toured a farm with area fourth graders. I watched a video on ATV safety, held kidney stones removed from a dog and listened to a man on horseback explain why his ride was off to the rendering plant this season. I also photographed a praying mantis (hence the photo) and discovered what’s inside a cow simulator. I now want a pair of boots -- dusty, worn and smelly boots.
And, the beauty queen I work with is actually a lot of fun.