Sunday, March 09, 2008

I've Created a Monster...

Being a parent has become more challenging as Alton doesn’t want to sleep in his crib. I’m to blame for it too. Rather than wrestle an angry baby after a late-night feeding, I’ve allowed Alton to sleep with me.

Everyone sleeps easier when we do this – even the neighbors.

This week, however, Alton decided that he’d prefer to start each evening curled up next to me rather than waste time in his crib. Our schedule was such that I met his demands.

Wow.

Try as I might, I could not get the boy to sleep alone in his room by Friday and Dad had to intervene on Saturday night. The battle was long and loud, but Dad ultimately put the sleeping baby in his crib.

Silence.

When Alton woke with hunger in the wee hours of Sunday morning, however, he was adamant about not returning to his crib. I tried, Dad tried – three times – and then I tried twice more before admitting defeat.

I woke this morning to Alton’s tiny fingers pinching my face.

He’s such a happy baby in the morning.



What I'm listening to: the men in my life chatter over a noisy dishwasher

What I'm reading: a five month old magazine